Add These Herbs and Spices to Your Meals
As you start meal planning to help you on your weight loss journey, you should also think about how you season your dishes. Herbs and spices don’t just add flavor, but can actually help you to burn more fat. Here are some that you definitely want to include.
One of the best herbs that can help you burn more fat is ginseng. It burns fat by naturally speeding up your metabolism and helping to boost your energy levels. When your metabolism gets a nice boost, you are able to burn fat and calories at a more rapid pace. Plus, the extra energy makes you more motivated to exercise, also increasing how much fat you burn. You can get ginseng extract or get supplements that are really easy to take, so you don’t even have to add it to your meals.
Who doesn’t love a little cinnamon? Luckily, not only is it delicious, cinnamon is good for you! It contains a lot more nutrients than you might imagine and can also help to boost your metabolism. Cinnamon helps with lowering blood sugar from diabetes and can even help with your cholesterol levels. So when you want to add some flavor to your coffee, sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. You can also make a delicious smoothie that tastes like dessert by combining skim or soy milk with apples and cinnamon on top.
Yes, mustard is good for you! This spice is often used on fattening foods like hot dogs, but it doesn’t have to be. You can add mustard spice or mustard seeds to a lot of different foods and side dishes that aren’t bad for you. You may want to make a sandwich with lean meats, veggies, and whole grain bread, then flavor it with a little mustard. Also try dipping some of your favorite veggies in mustard. You will be amazed by how good this can be.
Turmeric is becoming popular as a spice because it tastes great and is extremely healthy. As a superfood, turmeric provides loads of nutrients that help you to be healthier overall, but also to burn fat and improve your weight loss efforts. It tastes similar to curry, so if you like a little kick to your veggie or rice dishes, sprinkle some turmeric in there. There are many different easy and healthy ways to use turmeric in your cooking.
Baked Honey Mustard Salmon
DescriptionEasy Paleo Honey Mustard Baked Salmon in tin foil for easy cleanup. This sweet and spicy Baked Salmon is less than 200 calories, high in protein and done in less than 30 minutes!
- 2 lb. wild caught salmon filet
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper to season
- squeeze of lemon to finish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil with about 4 inches of overhang off the sides. (you may need two sheets of foil to do this) Fold up the edges to create a pocket.
- Place the salmon in the center of the lined baking sheet.
- To a small bowl add, mustard, honey, smoked paprika, basil, red pepper flakes and minced garlic. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the salmon. Gently rub the mixture into the salmon so it is completely coated. Season the top of the salmon with salt and pepper.
- Using the tin foil overhang, fold to the center to create a dome and seal in the salmon so it created a closed tin foil pocket.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until your desired doneness.
- Remove foil and place under broiler for 2-3 minutes to caramelize the honey on top.
- Garnish with chopped chives. Serve!