When you're under stress, you may find it harder to eat healthy. Also, during times of particularly high stress, you may eat in an attempt to fulfill emotional needs — sometimes called stress eating or emotional eating. And you may be especially likely to eat high-calorie foods during times of stress, even when you're not hungry.
To prevent weight gain during stress and reduce the risk of obesity, get a handle on your stress. When you feel less stressed and more in control of your life, you may find it easier to stick to healthy eating and exercise habits.
Try these stress management techniques to combat stress-related weight gain:
- Recognize the warning signs of stress, such as anxiety, irritability and muscle tension.
- Before eating, ask yourself why you're eating — are you truly hungry or do you feel stressed or anxious?
- If you're tempted to eat when you're not hungry, find a distraction.
- Don't skip meals, especially breakfast. If you're in a hurry, grab a piece of fruit on the way out the door.
- Eat a healthy diet, such as whole grains and a variety of fruits and vegetables. Aim to include most food groups in your meals.
- Identify comfort foods and keep them out of your home or office.
- Keep a record of your behavior and eating habits so that you can look for patterns and connections — and then figure out how to overcome them.
- Learn problem-solving skills so that you can anticipate challenges and cope with setbacks.
- Practice relaxation skills, such as yoga, stretching, massage, deep breathing or meditation.
- Engage in regular physical activity or exercise.
- Get adequate sleep.
- Get encouragement from supportive friends and family.
FIND YOUR ZEN A guild to inter peace
ISN’T IT TIME YOU FELT ZEN IN THIS BUSY WORLD
IT CAN HAPPEN WITH THE POWER OF MEDITATION
Hi, I’m Deanna Lyn
After seeing how small changes made such a big difference in my own health and happienss I knew I wanted a career helping others live healthier and happier lives.
LEARN HOW TO MEDITATE AND CHANGE YOUR LIFE WITH MY SIMPLE GUIDE.
Download this free gift now. HERE
CALM YOUR ZEN.
Ready to take a fresh new lease on life? Let’s do it.
Grab your FREE guide & experience all of this:
- A renewed mind and spirit
- A fresh and awakened energy
- A more focused you at work and at home
Say YES to yourself, and grab this FREE guide NOW!